Although the last 10 years passed rather quickly, those years are full of wonderful adventures and memories. Our anniversary was a time to reflect, reminisce, and celebrate our life together.
Ken surprised me a day early by leaving a card on the table before he left for work. I assumed that I was to wait until our actual anniversary to open the card. In the past, Ken has taunted me by placing gifts out days or weeks early knowing that I struggle with patience. I thought that this was another of those moments, and I wanted to prove to him that I could wait patiently until time to open the card. I went about my day, and after returning from the gym about 5pm, I received a phone call from him asking me if I was on my way to the salon. I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about. He asked if I had opened my card to which I proudly responded “no”. In a fluster, he explained that I was supposed to open the card which would have told me that he scheduled a manicure and pedicure for me at 5:30 that evening. Despite being late and still wearing my workout clothes, I ran all the way to the salon and enjoyed a wonderful evening of pampering. Ken also spoiled me the next day with an appointment for a Swedish massage which left me feeling like putty.
The evening of our anniversary, Ken made reservations at a charming local French restaurant. When he made the reservation, he tried to explain to them that it was our anniversary. In French, “anniversaire” means birthday. As he did not know to say “anniversaire de mariage”, the staff enthusiastically brought out a small chocolate cake with a candle assuming it was my birthday celebration. Regardless, we had a wonderful time as we shared our favorite memories over the past 10 years and looked at pictures from our wedding and honeymoon. Instead of simply buying Ken a card, I chose to give him a unique gift. I wrote a poem chronicling our 10 years together from the day we married up to the day of our anniversary. It brought to us a flood of memories… extraordinary as well as challenging times. Most of all, it reminded us how much fun we have had and how blessed we feel to walk through life together. What an amazing journey!
Ken surprised me a day early by leaving a card on the table before he left for work. I assumed that I was to wait until our actual anniversary to open the card. In the past, Ken has taunted me by placing gifts out days or weeks early knowing that I struggle with patience. I thought that this was another of those moments, and I wanted to prove to him that I could wait patiently until time to open the card. I went about my day, and after returning from the gym about 5pm, I received a phone call from him asking me if I was on my way to the salon. I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about. He asked if I had opened my card to which I proudly responded “no”. In a fluster, he explained that I was supposed to open the card which would have told me that he scheduled a manicure and pedicure for me at 5:30 that evening. Despite being late and still wearing my workout clothes, I ran all the way to the salon and enjoyed a wonderful evening of pampering. Ken also spoiled me the next day with an appointment for a Swedish massage which left me feeling like putty.
The evening of our anniversary, Ken made reservations at a charming local French restaurant. When he made the reservation, he tried to explain to them that it was our anniversary. In French, “anniversaire” means birthday. As he did not know to say “anniversaire de mariage”, the staff enthusiastically brought out a small chocolate cake with a candle assuming it was my birthday celebration. Regardless, we had a wonderful time as we shared our favorite memories over the past 10 years and looked at pictures from our wedding and honeymoon. Instead of simply buying Ken a card, I chose to give him a unique gift. I wrote a poem chronicling our 10 years together from the day we married up to the day of our anniversary. It brought to us a flood of memories… extraordinary as well as challenging times. Most of all, it reminded us how much fun we have had and how blessed we feel to walk through life together. What an amazing journey!