Although Ken and I love living in Europe and experiencing life from a different perspective, certain things from “home” are greatly missed…family, friends, and foods place at the top of the list. So, I couldn’t help but beam as I watched my friend, Chrissy, walk out from the customs area at the Brussels airport ready to begin our 2 week adventure together. Before arriving, she sent her wish list of places to visit, and I sent her my wish list of yummy American foods that we can’t buy here. What a great exchange!
Ken was able to join us for the first weekend of travel, and the 3 of us hit the road for the Mosel Valley in Germany. Numerous vineyards clung to the sides of steep hills creating a lovely backdrop for the castles and medieval festival we visited. Trier, the largest city on our weekend trip, is steeped in Roman history including one of the largest Roman structures outside of Rome which proved quite fun to explore. Of course a trip to Germany must include some schnitzel and apple strudel, and we gladly accepted.
After saying goodbye to Ken, Chrissy and I set out for a few days in Rome. Even though I have visited Rome several times, I never grow tired of it. I stand in awe at the ruins as I imagine what the buildings looked like in their former glory. Looking down on the Forum from Paletine Hill or walking through the Coliseum reminds me what brilliant people the Romans were with the knowledge to build structures to last generations. I also love the vibrant atmosphere of the city with people sitting on the Spanish Steps enjoying a tasty gelato or strolling through the winding streets to find a charming restaurant. We definitely ate our share of gelato, pizza and pasta…and loved every bite!
We stopped off in Brussels for a couple of nights to not only wash clothes and regroup but also to visit one of the most enchanting towns in Belgium. Despite some rain, we walked through the cobble stone streets of Bruges to visit lovely churches, a colorful square, and truly medieval architecture. Our favorite treat for the day, though, was a Belgian waffle served with ice cream and warm chocolate sauce. YUM!
Our final destination was London. This too is a city which I could visit over and over again. We took in all of the famous sites…Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben & Parliament, changing of the guard, and the list goes on. The trip proved a treat for me, though, as I have never visited London during the 2 months which Buckingham Palace tours are given. Chrissy’s timing to Europe allowed us to see the palace inside and out. They even had a special exhibit in honor of the 60th wedding anniversary of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip…wonderful. Our evening entertainment included tickets to the musical “Mama Mia” and a “Jack the Ripper” night walking tour. As food and local specialties seemed to dominate much of our trip, I took Chrissy to 2 of our favorite places in London…Porter’s traditional British restaurant at Covent Garden for fish and chips and, like any good Texan, the Texas Embassy for some Tex-Mex.
Besides seeing wonderful sites and eating delicious food, the best part was spending time with a great friend ….long walks, deep talks, and constant laughter.
I have posted many of our pictures from this adventure on my photo album site. Just click the link on the right side of this page to take the journey with us.