Coming from management consulting, with an ‘up or out’ 6 month
evaluation process, promotions every 24 months, and annual raises of 15%, I had
prepared myself for corporate America where the pace is considerably
slower. However, in the past 15 months
since launching into the medical device industry, much has happened on my career
path.
I joined Medtronic in February as their Chief Strategic Officer,
making sure we had the right 5 year plan in an industry that takes 3 years to
develop a product. In November, the
President appointed me her Chief-of-Staff, which we’re still trying to
understand what that means – but usually solving a pressing problem the business
faces. And just this week, I became the
Chief of Business Development. Somehow
I’ve not been able to jettison any of my responsibilities, so officially I’m the
“Chief of Staff, Strategy, and Business Development.”
I’ve always used the same metric to measure any job I’ve had. Firstly, am I having fun and whistling when I
come to work? All too often, we’re not
honest with ourselves on this one and don’t know when to make an exit. Secondly, how much am I learning and will I
be smarter 12 months from now? So with
my new territory to explore at Medtronic, I’m ticking all the
boxes.
Business Development plays in the space of acquiring or partnering
with other companies to achieve your strategic goals. This ‘wheeling and dealing’ plays right to my
interests, while the complex financial instruments such as minority shares and
convertible debt are parts I need to learn.
Net-net, this should be a great ride!
Whoever told me corporate America moves slower didn’t realize that money
never sleeps.
~Ken (The themes of my office are travel, medical, and ducks. Thanks to Heidi, Charlotte & Bill, Aunt Sis, and Aunt Kay for collectibles, doctor bags, globes and photos)
~Ken (The themes of my office are travel, medical, and ducks. Thanks to Heidi, Charlotte & Bill, Aunt Sis, and Aunt Kay for collectibles, doctor bags, globes and photos)
2 comments:
What a nice office!!!!
So proud of you and all of your accomplishments!!!
Post a Comment