Thursday, May 27, 2010

Babes in the Big Apple

One of my stops while in the US last month was New York City. A dear friend from Dallas, Michelle, and I decided to meet up for a gal’s weekend. Since she had never visited New York, I planned several fun outings and excursions for us including a stroll through Central Park filled with signs of spring blossoming, a tour of Radio City Music Hall where we met a Rockette who thought we were dancers (big boost to our egos), and a ferry ride to Ellis Island’s emotionally moving immigration museum. Besides grabbing the traditional hot dog from a street vender, I took Michelle to a couple of my most favorite restaurants which tickled our taste buds and fulfilled expectations of the local cuisine.

A true highlight came when I booked tickets for the musical “A Little Night Music” starring Angela Lansbury (who sadly had a 2 week break during our visit), Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Hunter Herdlicka (a former student of my sister-in-law, Kara) as the young male lead. I saw the show last year in London and loved it, and once again, I found the story charming and amusing. After the applause died down and the people filed out of the theater, Michelle and I met up with Hunter and got a back-stage tour...fantastic! Through all of this, Michelle gained a better understanding of why Ken and I absolutely love this city, and the two of us enjoyed ourselves so much that we are already planning our next gal’s get-away.

No comments: