Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Mr. McGregor’s Garden

Although Ken just celebrated his birthday last week and finds himself (at least according to him) on the doorstep of “middle age”, we spent this past weekend living in our childhood memories. We took the train up to England’s Lake District known for its mountainous peaks, numerous lakes, and the birthplace of Peter Rabbit.

We found ourselves smack in the middle of the playground of this naughty rabbit and the gardens of mean old Mr. McGregor as we hiked to the home of Beatrix Potter, the creator of so many well loved children’s tales.

As we toured her house and saw the location of her inspirations, I fell in love all over again with the characters, like Benjamin Bunny and Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, who filled my youth’s imagination. (It's hard to believe that Ms. Potter had to initially self publish Peter Rabbit because the publishers turned her down.)

I thought of the collection of Beatrix Potter books that my Aunt Becky bought my family when she lived in England which sat proudly in our living room and how enamored I became as a child by the fascinating stories and detailed pictures in each of those little books.

Ken and I left the Lake District not only cherishing the beauty that surrounded us during our weekend break, but we also took away with us a renewed appreciation for who Beatrix Potter was as a kind yet determined woman as well as a person who impacted the early years of our lives…along with so many others.

No comments: