Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Memories, Merriment & Mom

No matter how old we become, the love and attention of a mother remains treasured forever.  I feel extra blessed to have one of the sweetest mom's in the world who also happens to be one of my very best friends.  So when mom asked if she could stay several days with us, I enthusiastically said yes.
Her trip took on a bitter sweet note as it's main purpose revolved around the date for my uncle's memorial service.  My mom's older brother, JT, passed away several months ago, but due to various reasons, the family decided to wait until his birthday month of July to celebrate his life.  And what a wonderful life it was!  His grandsons summed up the essence of my uncle in a general theme...he always looked for the silver lining to whatever life handed him with a huge "light up the room" kind of smile on his face, and he never gave up, even if that meant finding other means of going forward in life.  I still can see that beautiful smile in my mind, and it really did shine in a way that couldn't help but make those around him smile too.  The last time I saw Uncle JT, about a year and a half ago, he sat gazing out of his window with no idea that I had planned to visit him that day.  When he heard my voice, turned around and saw me, the smile that spread across his face filled the room with such giddiness and joy that I couldn't help but rush over to hug him.  His hugs were legendary as he hugged in a way that let you know how valuable you were to him.  We chatted, reminisced, and laughed until I had to leave.  Thankfully, I remembered my camera that day, and we finished with a photo that I will forever cherish.
During the remainder of mom's stay, we managed a couple of memorable outings.  Thanks to a benefit dinner through Ken's work, we scored tickets to a taping of the Wheel of Fortune.  As a favorite of our extended family, this seemed like a perfect fit.  We watched 3 shows tape while fighting not to yell out the answers.  Another fun experience came when a producer friend of mine invited us to the premiere screening and reception of his movie "The 25,000 Mile Love Story".  An inspirational story of a couples' journey across the globe to raise money for children in need, the movie proved even better than we anticipated.  While at the reception, we bought books of the same title and had them signed by the author and star of the movie. 
Mom and I relished our "girlie" day where we had make-overs at a MAC beauty store and then pampered our feet with pedicures.  Naturally, when two gals are together, shopping always makes the list.  We also managed a trip to our designer's house so that mom could meet the former hgtv star, Michael Payne.  And we spent hours sitting at the breakfast table playing a tile game called Rummikub...sometimes, Ken even joined us for the fun.  My favorite part, though, came with simply being together and sharing our hearts.  I never stop thanking God for blessing my life with such a dear soul to call my mom as well as my forever friend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a "FUN" time we had!!! We must do it again soon!!