Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Merry Thanksgiving

Christmas decorations, festive music, and a Thanksgiving feast…all of these bits set up a memorable week for mom’s visit to Los Angeles.  Before mom’s arrival, and because Ken & I haven’t gotten to decorate for Christmas in a few years, I set up our tree, strung the lights and hung the ornaments. However, mom helped with all of those finishing touches that add so much to the feel of a space.  She made bows for the tree, helped accent the mantle with colorful flowers and balls, and designed an incredibly elegant centerpiece for our dining table which we can keep out year round.  She also helped pick out a tree for all of Ken’s space ornaments (mostly Star Wars & Star Trek) so that he wouldn’t feel left out of the festivities.  To top off the merriments, mom and I made a Thanksgiving feast for dinner one night complete with sweet potatoes and pecan pie…YUM!
The trip wasn’t all work and no play for mom, though.  She joined in our Bible study group’s discussion evening as well as a fun game night.  We took an overnight trip to Santa Barbara where our room looked out onto the Pacific Ocean, and we also visited 2 famous homes in the LA area…Will Roger’s ranch and the Gamble House (of Procter and Gamble fame).  Having visited Will’s childhood home in Oklahoma, mom knew bits and pieces that the guide didn’t even know.
Mom graciously entertained herself as I landed a lead role in a short film and had to work during her stay.  I played part of a battered wife trying to escape from her abusive husband.  Upon returning home, still in make-up from the day’s shoot, mom was taken aback seeing me with “bruises” on my face and arms.  I guess that isn’t exactly what a mother wants to see, but thankfully, it was due to Hollywood magic and not the real thing.
Our favorite time came from hours and hours of playing Rummikub.  Mom and I (and occasionally Ken) could sit concentrating over strategic moves while chit chatting and not realize how much time had passed.  The saying goes “time flies when you’re having fun”…and I guess it’s right!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, always a good time!
And the house looks so "Christmasy" with Gran's decorating touch :-)

Anonymous said...

Such fun times as always!!!