Monday, March 3, 2014

And the Award Goes to...

Fancy dresses, talented actors, and colorful commentary will line the red carpet as the Oscars take place tonight, bringing a close to the awards season.  With this time of year come dvd screeners in the mail and special theater viewings for the nominated films.  Ken and I try to attend at least a few of the showings as Q&A’s with various actors, producers, and/or directors follow the films.  This year had a few unique experiences.  Although watching “August: Osage County” wasn’t on the top of our list, when I received its invite followed by a Q&A with Meryl Streep, I couldn’t resist.  As one of the all-time greatest and most versatile actors, I wanted to see what wisdom I could glean.  Along with her, Margo Martindale attended, and despite an emotionally trying script and demanding characters, the cast clearly had a great time and enjoyed working together.  Of course, it felt a bit odd listening to them describe Bartlesville, and I found myself wanting to stand up and say, “I know exactly where you are talking about.” 
The “Gravity” screening took place at the famous Chinese theater with its courtyard of hand and footprints on Hollywood Blvd.   Along with producers and director Alfonso Cuaron, Sandra Bullock joined in for the Q&A.  The descriptions of the movie’s precise filming and innovative techniques fascinated me.
Topping those experiences, though, “Saving Mr. Banks” will remain as one of our favorite award screenings ever.  After showing our invite to the front gate of the Disney Studios, we drove onto the lot, parked, and made our way past historical buildings (which could be seen in the movie) to a reception of delicious sweet treats and hot drinks on a chilly night.  We mingled for a bit with other attendees and then made our way to the on lot theater (where Mr. Disney himself viewed various films) to enjoy, in our opinion, the most charming story of the season.  Most of those watching found themselves wiping tears followed by laugh out loud moments.  The Q&A included Tom Hanks, Emma Thompson, Collin Ferrell and Bradly Whitford.  One of the best questions came when someone asked the cast to share their favorite Disney Movie.  Tom Hanks began naming his one by one…Splash; Toy Story 1, 2, & 3; etc...very cute and funny moment!  The night felt as magical as if Tinkerbell had sprinkled pixie dust for all those who entered the heart of Disney.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What fun times these must have been!!! My award goes to the blogger!!!!