This week marked
saying good-bye to a friend and family member.
Twenty years ago when I met my uncle-by-marriage, I didn’t foresee the
fingerprints he would leave on my life.
But now that I’m indelibly marked, it’s worth sharing how Paul Estes
Thomason did it.
I found Paul a man
of delightful contradictions. Despite
never learning to swim in his life, Paul spent 2 years fighting in the South
Pacific war theater to guarantee freedoms for the Americans who followed after him. And
although Paul could go hours without speaking a word, few people were strangers
and all held him in admiration. Paul was
a man of many sacrifices, deep thoughts, and few
words.
One afternoon,
Paul took me to his garage and opened a dusty shelf bin. Inside lay a Japanese battle sword, a dagger,
and a few loose photos. When I asked him
what made him choose these relics after the war, Paul simply answered, “I
wanted to bring something back.” In
characteristic understatement, it never struck him that the best thing Paul
returned with was himself.
We held shared
passions for fishing and hunting. With
his prerequisite life vest, Paul fished from the boat’s bow while I handled the
steerage with one hand and my reel with another. Although our wives didn’t believe our “one
that got away” and “the fish was this big” stories, just having those tales
completed the day. Paul even had a
back-up plan if we came up empty, finding the best fried catfish in the state at
the local hospital cafeteria. To this
day, I swear he was right.
In the end, it’s
the fingerprints we leave behind that matter in life. I’m happy to have met Paul early on, when I
had just finished college and was madly pursing his beautiful niece. Since then, life’s conductor orchestrated a
near perfect symphony of weddings, births, and reunions. However, every opus has an ending and for
today that’s Paul. Rest well and thanks
for the fingerprints.
K
1 comment:
What a wonderful tribute to a special man!
Post a Comment