Monday, June 27, 2011

Dance As If No One Is Watching

As a little girl, I would gaze at this painting for what felt like hours, imagining myself as this tall, graceful beauty. I found inspiration in the drive she must have possessed to become such a poised dancer. Only through infinite hours of practice, fueled by a strong motivation, did she achieve her goals. However, the contentment she radiated by simply doing what she loved most also struck me since few people find that joy.

When I was 4 years old, my cousin, Mike, painted this picture and gave it to me as a gift. Because he is 19 years older than me, in my little mind, he represented the ultimate in “cool”. I saw him as intelligent, witty and intriguing. After giving me this lovely portrait, I found myself even more enthralled and have proudly hung this unique present in all of my homes from childhood to our current Brussels’ house.

Over the years, I have learned that Mike’s life is as much an inspiration as the exquisite ballerina. Just as she exhibited qualities of drive, motivation and contentment doing what she loved, Mike has also shown those same characteristics whether as a CEO of a major company or in helping his community make improvements for disadvantaged people. His generosity and leadership as well as his love for his family catch the eyes of those around him in the same way his lovely painting grabbed my attention as a child. It is no wonder that Dallas elected him as their new mayor and why I stand proudly with so many of his friends and family today as he takes his oath of office, wishing him the best on his new journey in life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are correct. He is an inspiration to the people of Dallas who came today to witness his inauguration.