For our final weekend in Europe, we decided to brave the cold, snowy weather of the north and visit Berlin. With temperatures hovering around 30 degrees and snow falling intermittently during our stay, viewing the sights of the city became almost unbearable, especially during our 4 hour walking tour. However, taking in the locations that left such a huge imprint not only on Germany but also upon the rest of the world kept our feet moving as we thought of the people without homes or warmth during the winters of WWII. I found myself enraged at human nature's evil side as I read the stories of the Nazi regime followed by the Iron Curtain of the Cold War era. How can people treat their fellow man in such a cruel manner taking life away so casually or caging an entire nation behind a wall? This left me humbled at the basic freedoms we so often take for granted and wishing that I could have granted this for so many individuals in the past. My hope, though, comes in the belief that we can learn from history's mistakes and improve who we are as a society. As I see a united Germany risen from the crumbled remains of a country torn apart, I know this is possible. Berlin took my breath away from its beautiful architecture and vibrant city life to its heartbreaking remains and tales of troubled times. What a fabulous and meaningful last hoorah before saying goodbye to our European life.
3 comments:
looking forward to haveing you in the states.
Thanks Hunter! Maybe you can come visit us in California sometime! :)
WELCOME BACK TO LIFE IN THE USA!!!
Your trip sounded amazing. Remeber that I have a piece of the Berling wall?
Post a Comment