Wednesday, September 18, 2013

All the World's a Stage...

When Ken and I made the decision to move to Los Angeles, we both knew that I would try once again to pursue the acting world of Hollywood’s film and television business.  Although the industry has changed dramatically since I lived here 10 years ago, I set off on my journey in June. 

New headshots took priority as they hold the important role of functioning as an actor’s calling card.  After so many years away, my confidence needed a bit of a boost, and I definitely longed for some practice.  So the next step found me in two different workshops:  a 4 week commercial auditioning prep course and an 8 week emotional core training course that involved improv and scene work.  By the end of the summer, I felt energized and ready to take the stage. 

Naturally, having an agent can make a big difference on getting doors to open for both auditions and jobs.  I tackled this hurdle by sending out my new headshots along with my resume as well as an agent link to a commercial audition I filmed during my 4 week workshop.  Thankfully, my efforts were rewarded, and I signed with my new agent earlier this month!

The most nerve racking aspect of this journey came a couple of weeks ago with an audition for a movie.  Other than 2 auditions in Brussels (which were in French resulting in a quick retirement from that idea), I hadn’t auditioned for anything in years.  Yet, despite a couple of rookie mistakes during this dive back into the realm of auditioning (which left me banging my head on the steering wheel on the drive home), the director liked my performance and gave me a callback for a second audition.  I couldn’t have asked for a more encouraging way to kick off my reentry into the acting world than to get a callback, and I found myself dancing on air for hours after I got the notice.  As the film doesn’t shoot for a few months, I don’t have any idea if I got the part.  However, I have had a couple of other auditions in the meantime, and both directors shared the delight in my take on the scenes and hinted that I would get callbacks. 

Through this, I have learned that the years away were not wasted even a little.  All of the places I traveled, people I met, and things I experienced have allowed me to bring a richness to the characters I have played, whether in class or in auditions, that I might not have had otherwise.  My agent said that we have a true uphill climb as the credits on my resume are so old (at least they aren’t black and white movies, even if he is right), but I can’t wait to see what lies ahead.  So I take my place on life’s stage and await the cue to play out my life’s role, hopefully followed by a grand curtain call and gracious bow!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job!! Maybe you will not hae to wait too long to get positive results from the auditions. We will be the support team cheerleaders.......

Kay & Grrr

Heidi said...

You gals make adorable support team cheerleaders! I'll take you two on my team any day! xoxo

Anonymous said...

weee lik u 2 4 that.
it is gud to ce yu as an aktress